Monday, October 18, 2004

Ladder 49

First let me say that Ladder 49 is not a great movie, But it isn't bad. The performances are less then lauditory (Although I thought Robert Patrick ideal in his role as Lenny the vetern firefighter whose a bit of a shit but great at what he does) The plot sometimes slips into the maudlin.But that having been said I think I should state that in terms of what its like to be a firefighter (and I am qualified to say, being a professional firefighter myself) it is lightyears ahead of Backdraft.

The movie gives a fair overview of what its like to be a career firefighter in an urban enviroment, and while it does shed little light on what motivates these men, other then brotherhood it does do a fair job of showing the fears and difficulties of a career in firefighting, both for the firefighters and their families' Its certainly much closer to reality the Backdraft was. A bit too noble perhaps. I quite enjoyed it myself. It was obviously filmed in a real station.

If this sort of thing sounds interesting to you, you may enjoy Ladder 49. If your looking for mindless action with lots of explosions your bound to be disappointed.




No comments: